Sunday, May 11, 2014

Welcome to the Wine Contessa



Wine Contessa speaks....greetings to all my future friends and critics! I'm but a humble woman” NOT REALLY” and consumer of wine joyously and without any reserve..it all began when I was but a teenager at my grandparents' they were from Italy and you know what that means?? well for those of you who are not privey to the Italian culture it means homemade vino and this was no “dago” red either! My grandfather made an amazing Vermentino that I would drink out of small glasses complete with his provolone and hand cured salumi!! WOW I was the luckiest kid I knew, developing a sophisticated palate at such a young age...great food and wine is there anything better...once ruined by my upbringing I was forced into the american public to seek out and find wines that were affordable and worth drinking , not an easy task in 1968-70's...for those of you who remember the attack of the 'ROSE'S pronounced like Joses not roses...I still to this day can't look at the” new” roses without cringing, MATEUS anyone? THE GREAT NEWS WAS THERE WAS A WINE STORM BREWING UP IN NAPA VALLEY....something the world had never seen and the French were saying..mon dieu!
And when the Napa wines particularly CHATEAU MONTELENA chardonnay and STAGS LEAP cabernet won over the French in Paris tastings, CALIFORNIA BECAME A WORLD player or you could say their fate was sealed{like a great bottle of wine}!! This is just the beginning of the many fun and informative wine stories I hope to share with you! So as the sun sets in the west” IT'S FIVE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE” I reach for my glass and pour the nectar of the gods...SALUTE

me at 30 (circa 1981)

my grandparents ~ Nonno & Nonna Fini
                   
                                           Me now age 63 (look how wine has preserved me! )
                                                          Not bad for an old broad 

 Drinking wine is definitely not about all the pomp and ceremony that goes with it but it can't hurt, Riedal glass anyone?? REALLY, when I think of all the absolutely horrid wine that was consumed in the early days, who could resist BLUE NUN...OMG, even more recently the ubiquitous 'WHITE ZINFANDELS” yuck..if I've offended anyone i'm sorry But I won't apologize...what were you thinking??      Sincerely, your WINE CONTESSA
                                                       
                                                    WINE PICK OF THE WEEK!
                                           My go to cabernet is JOEL GOTT 815 "2011"
                                                    IT'S A TOP TASTING CAB !!!
                                  This wine will hold it's own up against wines twice it's price!!  
                   Typically $13-16 a bottle but most stores like Bevmo or Total Wine will price match!                                                          



3 comments:

  1. So happy your blog is up and running my dear sorelle, looks amazing! Hopefully I will be able to join you on some wine tasting adventures! Cheers to many followers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great, love all the photos! -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Contessa, Good job...!!! Site looks great...!!! Hope to see you soon at your estate...!!!
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete